* Disclaimer: this post contains an affiliate link, which means we do get a commission if you make a purchase through our link, but rest assured we only recommend A2 Hosting because we’ve used their service.
Figuring out how to get everything together if you are new to the behind-the-scenes part of the internet can be quite overwhelming, especially when it comes the technical side of how to setup a domain (not to mention find a good one), the web hosting where your website’s page will sit on, and last but not least, how to install wordpress.
Lucky you: in this article I will show you how to setup your domain, web hosting and install WordPress.
If you learn better by watching video, just click on the play button of the video above and follow along with me while I show you how to do it, but if you’re more of a reading person, let’s break it down!
How to Find a Good Domain Name
As you may now, finding a goog .com domain name can be quite difficult nowadays. But the good news is there are helping tools out there, and I have a handy one for you: leandomainsearch.com
Just follow this link and type a word you would like your domain name to have. LeanDomainSearch will give you a list of the currently avaiable domains.
Now, my advice: grab a cup of coffee, because sometimes you will come across several thousands available domains. I found it faster to scan through column by column instead of reading row to row, so try that.
What I usually do is that I have a text file opened (or even better, a Trello card) and as I find interesting domains, I will add it to my list.
Then after I finished my first list, I will create a second one and will pick my top 10, then a third list with my top 5, then a fourth list with my top 3, and out of that I will pick my number one. This is way easier than trying to choose between your initial 40 picks.
How to register your domain name and get web hosting
Finding a good and reliable web hosting company is not as easy as it sounds, and lucky you: I’ve done the hard work for you!
I host my sites on different web hosting companies, but if you’re looking for a good webhosting comany with servers in the US, Europe, or Asia, my pick is A2 Hosting.
A2 Hosting has been there for a while and is a reliable web hosting company with very good support.
And trust me, you don’t want to skip the support part because you will need it eventually.
What’s more, A2 Hosting offer a very solid “Anytime money-back guarantee“!
So what are you waiting for?
Just click on the button below, then select your desired plan.
Once you’re there:
- If you are not sure what you need and just want to create one website, once you are on the site, click on “Shared Hosting” in the top navigation bar, and then select the Lite Plan.
- Fill in the form and click next
- Choose you billing cycle. The longest, the cheapest. And don’t forget. A2 Hosting offers you a “Anytime Money-Back Guarantee”!
Upon successful completion, you will receive an email from A2 Hosting:
Please bear in mind that it may take up to 48 hours before your domain is active and connected to you web hosting.
How to install WordPress on your website
Once your domain is active, open that email from A2 hosting and look for the line that says Site Administration.
There will be a link to your administration interface (called the Cpanel). The link should look something like https://yourdomain.com/cpanel.
Once you’re in there:
- Look for the “Softaculous Apps installer” and click on Blogs.
- On the Blogs page, click on WordPress
- Fill in the form as follows:
- Choose protocol: do not touch anything here, unless you have a security certificate (SSL) installed and want to use it
- Choose domain: your domain should already be selected in the dropdown list
- In Directory: make sure this field is empty
- Site name: this is the name of your site that will appear in Google
- Site Description: the tag line of your website
- Enable WPMU: do not select unless you actually want to and know what you are doing
- Admin username: chooseyour WordPress Admin username
- Admin password: choose your WordPress Admin password. Make sure you save it somewhere!
- Admin email: input the administrator email address. This is the email address that your administrator notifications will be sent to.
- Choose language: choose the language you want for your WordPress install
- Limit Login Attemps (Loginizer): select the checkbox. This will install a layer of security on your WordPress site, block ip addresses that fail to login after three consecutive attemps, thus preventing people/ bots to sneak-in the administration of your site by repeateadly trying username/password combinations.
- Email Installations Instructions to: if you wish so, input the email address where the details of this install should be sent to
- Click the submit button
- A new page will inform you of the successful install. Congratulations! Just click the link on that page with the suffix wp-admin in order to start managing your fresh new WordPress Install.
That’s about it! If you’ve made it this far you are now on your way to create your own website.
Do you need help with that? If so check out our free course on how to create a gorgeous one page website with WordPress and Divi.
I hope this was of any help, and if you got any questions, just shoot below!